Mobi Groups
Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

OnlineBible-Study - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* OnlineBible-Study > Topics

Subject: What Really Is SOUL?
Replies: 12 Views: 1532

coolit 21.07.09 - 05:58pm
When you hear the term 'soul' what comes to your mind? Many believe that this word means something invisible and immortal that exists inside us. They think that at death this invisible part of a human leaves the body and lives on. Since the belief is so widespread, many are suprised to learn that It Is NOT What The Bible Teaches. What, then, is soul according to God's Word? *

coolit 22.07.09 - 09:56am
BACKGROUND INFO:

You may remember that the Bible was originally written in Hebrew and Greek. Therefore, our first goal is to know what is the Hebrew, and also Greek term for 'soul'.

The Hebrew for the term 'soul' is nephesh and its Greek equivalent is psykhe'. These two words appear well over 800 times in the Scriptures. *

coolit 22.07.09 - 10:06am
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY THAT HELPS US TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THE SOUR REALLY IS?

Let's study Genesis 2:7: 'Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.'

Question: Who became the living soul?
The text says that the MAN himself came to be a LIVING SOUL. Notice that the Bible does not say that man 'was given' a soul but he 'became' a soul, a living person. *

coolit 22.07.09 - 10:28am
Does the soul die?

Here's the Bible's answer: Ezekiel 18:4: 'Look! All the souls- to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son- to me they belong. The soul (nephesh) that is sinning-it itself will die.

what the Bible teaches: The soul dies. It is not immortal. *

sapphire 26.07.09 - 09:01am
The soul is your inner spirit, how you live with it. And it is with you as long as your alive. *

solvent1 26.07.09 - 09:18am
Your soul or ur life can be dead to God. When u please satan *

coolit 26.07.09 - 11:18am
Thanks guys for the inputs. Ppl really have different opinions about 'soul'. However, the Bible has its own explanation...and it's only one. The bible teaches that 'soul' is NOT an invisible thing. It is visible and also, destroyable. Pls notice how 'soul' is used in Joshua 11:11: And they went striking every soul that was in it with the edge of the sword. No breathing thing at all was left over, and he burned Hazor in the fire.

In the passage above we can know that 'every soul can be struck with the edge of a sword'. So, what does that mean? *

n_nick23 1.09.09 - 05:46pm
Hey Coolit... its been a while, since i last come online.. anyway i agree with ur arguments. but i have a few text for you to look at then on this subject matter. *

n_nick23 1.09.09 - 05:49pm
Genesis 35:18 - ''And so it was, as her soul was departing, that she called his name Ben-Oni...''

n_nick23 1.09.09 - 06:08pm
Again... doesn't Mathew 10:28 suggest that man and soul or two different thing. ''And do not fear those who kill the body, but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.'' *

n_nick23 1.09.09 - 06:11pm
Does the word ''both'' indicate that the Soul is distinct from the body or the physcial man? *

coolit 4.09.09 - 11:45pm
Thanks for the texts u shared. Pls consider that psykhe' and nephesh, the original words for soul, may convey different meanings. Psykhe/nephesh, grk and heb. respectively, may mean 'life', 'creature' or even 'desire'.At gen 35:16-19, the c0ntext shows that 'nephesh' in that texts means life. Let me qoute John 10:11 I am a fine shepherd, the fine shepherd surrenders his SOUL/ psykhe, in behalf of the sheep. what did Jesus surrendered? Isn't it his perfect human life? Pls look luke 12:20 or exo 4:19, too. Good day! *

n_nick23 7.09.09 - 12:44am
Yep! Good explanations... but doesnt the term both body and soul indicate that we are dealing with two separate things *

* OnlineBible-Study Forum

Search:
topics replies

* OnlineBible-Study

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits